Foreign Languages and English Preparatory School Directorate
Haliç University Foreign Languages and English Preparatory Directorate is affiliated to the Rector's Office in the organizational chart and consists of two types of programs, namely English Preparatory Program courses and undergraduate English courses provided to various faculties and colleges. At Haliç University, there are three departments where the medium of instruction is English (American Culture and Literature; Translation and Interpretation in English; Business Administration). Students who enrol in these departments are admitted to the English Preparatory Program if they cannot prove their English proficiency. Students from other departments can optionally study in the English Preparatory Program. Students enrolled in the English Preparatory Program can study some modules at the language schools abroad, within the framework of the opportunities provided by our university.
The Mission of the English Preparatory Program
The principal mission of the Haliç University Directorate of Foreign Languages and English Preparatory Program is to handle or delegate the necessary administrative and academic works, and the related correspondence for the Program, to coordinate the preparations and conduct of the Proficiency Exam for the students registering at the beginning of each semester, and to design and successfully maintain the necessary education for the students to complete the academic term at the English Preparatory Program. In accordance, another mission of ours is to help you, our students, gain the necessary academic and English language skills which you will need in order to graduate from your major at Haliç University and to further step into an effective career.
- We are fulfilling the above missions of the English Preperatory Programme relying on the goals and principles stated below:
- We support the new students of Halic University to participate the university life.
- We apply a specific English Language Teaching program which will helpstudents to improve themself in their academic life andin their future career.
- We useModular System in order to improveourstudentsacademic development.
- In Academic English Language Teaching ; different methods and skıllswhich will be very useful in their departments , are also used,like; Note-taking , presentation, academicresearch,writingartıcles, summarizıng documents, reading graphics etc
- We help our students to make research individually or in groups; to evaluate their personal abilities,to improvelistening skillsand critical thinking .
- In our classes, high technologySmart Boardsandsurroundsoundsystemsare used in order to develop the student participation in lectures.
- We supportstudents Languageskillsdevelopment, by leading with new teaching and evaluationmethods , responsibility oflearningand life long learning.
- For a dynamic Language Teaching program;we also supportandfollow our Lecturers career developments.
- Our aim is to contributethesuccess andprestige ofHaliçUniversityin national andinternationalareas.
- Students who are recently enrolled start the English Preperatory Programme after taking the Level Assessment exam if they can not prove their proficiency in English or if they fail the English Proficiency Exam.
Haliç University English Preparatory Program has 1 academic semester consisting of 2 terms, 14 weeks. 16 hours of Main Course and 10 hours of Four Skills , the weekly course hours are 26 hours in total.
Pupils are level-placed into separate teaching groups of three main subjects In Haliç University English Preparatory Program:
- A Level For Beginner & Elementary
- B Level For Pre-Intermediate & Intermediate
- C Level For Advanced Level Of Students.
- This is a student centered program and The Objective Of The Program Is To:
- Assist students in advancing their grammar and word knowledge through Main Course lectures
- Help to build up their four skills composed of listening, reading, writing and speaking ability through interactive lessons.
A (Beginner & Elementary)
If you don't know English or have little knowledge about the language, you will be placed at the first level. The aim at this level is to gain skills to understand what you read and listen, as well as the use of English vocabulary and grammar. At this level, the basics of paragraph writing and presentation skills are also laid. It is important to improve your presentation skills in the classroom . In order to complete the starting level successfully and move on to the next level, you need to keep a file containing all your written work and record the words you learned on a daily basis. Also, at this level, you are expected to read story books that are suitable for your level determined by lecturers. During the 14-week courses, various measurement-evaluation tools such as video projects and weekly assignments will be implemented. Our valuable students will be informed about our alternative measurement tools and exam system at the beginning of the course. At the end of the course, your knowledge and skills will be measured with the Course Completion Exam (KB).
B (Pre-Intermediate & Intermediate)
This level is designed to provide you with a medium level of English proficiency and to achieve the level of basic language skills. When you complete this level, you will learn to find the main idea and extract certain information from different types of listening and reading texts. You will also learn the strategies necessary to create logical paragraphs of idea and to succeed in speech and written presentations.
This level includes general communication skills including grammar, spelling and punctuation, vocabulary learning, sentence structure, transition from paragraph to composition. To complete this level successfully, students need to organize their thoughts in a composition format, make presentations using technology, and participate in group discussions.
Students at this level are expected to add new knowledge to the ones acquired previously besides developing their academic skills. In addition, our students will learn writing scıentific articles with the rules of academic writing. At that level ; students will be able to make references from the texts. With the group discussion which is an alternative way of evaluation, students will learn the skills of making comments , coming to an agreement and contrast on a specific subject. Shortly, this level students could easily make analysis from sources by using different language structures. As a result ; they could emphasise themselves clearly in academic sense. Students will also be asked to read some story books which will be given to them by their lecturer according to their level. In addition to the weekly homeworks and oral presentations as a method of evaluation; at the end of the term End of Module Exam will also be held.
This level is a transition to faculty programs. This level does not only focus on language skills and competence, it also combines these skills and competences with the academic needs of students at the university. At this level, students develop their reading skills, discussion skills, reading and listening to long academic texts and note taking skills. Our students are expected to choose a specific subject, evaluate their chosen subject, and improve themselves on topics such as using resources to write academic papers. At this level, you are expected to read story books that are suitable for your level determined by the lecturers. Also, at the end of the course, your knowledge and skills will be evaluated with the Course Completion Exam (KB).
Students receive two quizzes / mini-exams, a mid-term exam, a project/assignment and a class participation grade for each of the Main Course and Four Skills courses with different percentages. 70% of these grades and 30% of the score to be obtained from the Level Exit Exam at the end of the course is added and the grade required to pass a higher level is determined. The lower limit required to pass a higher level is sixty points out of a hundred (60/100).
In order to take the English Proficiency Exam to be held in June, it is necessary to complete the "B" level (Pre-Intermediate & Intermediate) successfully. If this requirement is not fulfilled, the student reserves the right to take the English Proficiency Exam to be held in September.
A student may take the same level only two (2) times, after which s/he may not attend classes as an active student during that course program, but may continue his/her education with external participation and support from the lecturers. Students who repeat the same level 2 times are considered successful at that level if they are successful in the next levels exit exam.
In order to be considered successful in the English Proficiency Exam and to start the department, at least sixty-five (65) points must be taken from the exam. The maximum term a student can attend the English Preparatory Program is two (2) years.
Students can learn their exam results in the Announcements section at www.halic.edu.tr in the relevant period.
In the English Preparatory Program, students are required to attend at least 70% of the class hours during a course. Students who exceed this absenteeism limit are not admitted to the End of Module Exam; they must repeat the level.
|Faculty/Program||Proficiency Exam||YDS||YÖKDİL||TOEFL (IBT)||PRE Academic|
Programs carried out in english